People use tables to present data and other pieces of information. Likewise, in WordPress as well, you can insert tables to display any information on your website.
Tables make your content more readable for your visitors. They enhance the presentation style and appearance of your site. Moreover, your visitors can interpret your content in a visually appealing yet logical manner.
Adding a table makes your page look neat. They catch your visitor’s attention instantly, which may also increase the retainment rate on your site.
In this article, we will show you how to insert a table in WordPress. By the end of this guide, you will be able to add a table in WordPress on the go.
Method 1: Inserting Table in WordPress Using WordPress Block Editor
WordPress is an all-in-one solution to all your customization needs. It makes it easy to add a table with its built-in Gutenberg block editor. Check this guide to learn how to use the Gutenberg Editor effectively.
To insert a table in WordPress using this block editor, follow the steps below:
- Go to your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on ‘Posts’ and then go to ‘Add New’ to create a new post. You can also insert a table to an existing post. Go to ‘All Posts’ and select any post you want.
- Click on the (+) symbol at the top.
- Select ‘Table.’
- The editor will prompt you to choose the number of rows and columns you want to set for your table.
- Assign an estimated number. You can always add or remove the rows and columns later.
- You can type the table cell number, and the editor automatically resizes the table depending on the table’s content.
- You can even set a fixed width to the table from the right-hand side corner.
- You can opt to add a header section, a footer section, and even the background color on your table.
- In case you need to add a new column or row, click on the cell where you want to add it.
- Click the ‘Edit Table’ button.
- You can also delete the column and rows in the same way. Select ‘Delete Column’ or ‘Delete Row.’
- The content of your table is aligned to the left by default. If you want to change that, click on the ‘Change Column Alignment’ option.
- Now select the option where you want to align your table. You can choose either left, center, or right.
- Similarly, you can change the alignment of the whole table.
- Click on the ‘Change alignment’ button.
- Now, select the option from the list.
This method of inserting a table using the Gutenberg editor is a lot easier. This feature offers greater flexibility on how to display your tables. However, this method lacks certain features, such as custom sorting, search filtering, and many others.
Method 2: Inserting WordPress Tables Without Plugins
We will walk you through two easy ways to insert tables in WordPress without plugins. The first one is using Google Docs, and the second one is using a table generator.
Inserting WordPress Table Using Google Docs
For inserting a WordPress table using Google Docs, you first need to create a Google document or a Google sheet. We will show you by using a Google doc file. Follow the steps below:
- Create a google doc file.
- Go to ‘Insert’ and click on ‘Tables.’
- Set the number of rows and columns you need for your table.
- After selecting the number of rows and columns, press Enter on your keyboard.
- Now add content to your table.
- Next, copy the table from the docs to your WordPress editor.
- This method is as easy as it can be.
- The downside of using Google Docs is that there are no customization options. Also, the table created with this method may break on mobile devices.
Inserting WordPress Table Using Table Generators
The way table generators work is that they allow you to create a table. Then, it generates an HTML code for the table. Now you need to copy this HTML code and paste it to your WordPress website. We recommend Rapid Tables and Responsive Table Generator Tool.
The problem with using the table generators is that you could face technical issues while using the generators. Also, you cannot enjoy customization options with this method.
Method 3: Inserting Tables in WordPress Using Plugins
Using plugins to insert tables in WordPress is an easy process. Moreover, plugins offer unlimited customization options to create unique tables. We recommend using the TablePress plugin. This plugin has received more than 800,000 active installations and is one of the best plugins.
Here is how you can insert a table using the TablePress plugin:
- First, you need to install and activate the plugin.
- Go to your WordPress Dashboard.
- Go to Plugin and then click on Add New.
- You will find a search bar on the top right. Type “TablePress.”
- Click on ‘Install’ to install the plugin.
- Head to the Settings.
- On the left sidebar, you will see TablePress. Click on it.
- Click on ‘Activate’ to activate the plugin.
After installing and activating the TablePress plugin, you are ready to insert tables. Here are the steps:
- Go to your WordPress dashboard.
- On the left panel, look for TablePress.
- Click on it and go to ‘Add New.’
- Type the name for your table.
- Select the number of rows and columns for your table.
- Once you set the number, click on the ‘Add Table’ button on the bottom to create your table.
- A new screen will show up where you can add information about your table. You can also add content.
- You can sort the data in an alphabetical or numerical order using the arrow buttons.
- Below the ‘Table Content’ section, you can see the ‘Table Manipulation’ section. Here, you can customize your table.
- Click on ‘Save Changes’ once you are satisfied with your table settings.
- To make the changes to the table, come back to the TablePress on your WordPress dashboard, and make your changes.
Other plugins you can use to insert a table in WordPress are:
JetEngine Table Builder Plugin
If you want to create dynamic tables in Gutenberg or Elementor, try the JetEngine Table Builder plugin. This plugin helps make dynamic tables showcasing products, users, terms, posts, SQL data, etc.
Furthermore, JetEngine allows a table preview before publishing, style, and customize by your needs.
Data Tables Generator by Supsystic
If you own or plan on running an e-commerce website with a pricing table and catalog, this plugin is the best way to go. You can insert a table with this plugin in no time. Some of its features are:
- Search sorting
- Unlimited rows and columns
- Responsive tables
- Editing feature to create visual tables.
WP Table Manager
WP Table Manager empowers you to create visually appealing and fully functional tables. It is a premium plugin that allows you to create an automatic backup for your table and its settings. The plugin adds other features on your tables, such as filtering, multiple language support, ordering, etc.
League Table is a premium plugin that allows you to insert tables in WordPress effortlessly. You can export and import table data from other files with a click of a button. If you run a multisite, this plugin will come in handy to add comparison tables, pricing tables, charts, etc.
Super Tables is a premium table generator for WordPress. It is loaded with unlimited features to create, customize, and insert tables. Superb Tables offers multiple color schemes for your tables. Moreover, this plugin comes with a Schema markup for enhanced SEO ranking. You can create responsive tables with any font and design with a click using Superb Tables.
WP Table Builder
WP Table Builder is a ‘Drag & Drop’ WordPress table plugin that’s very easy to use. From pricing tables to simple info tables, you can create any type of table using the plugin. The plugin offers responsive designs for every device. It’s highly integrated with WordPress Block Editor. You can even create a table without leaving the Block editor. And the great part is, you can jump-start with pre-built templates in no time.
Ninja Table is a table builder plugin that enables you to make any kind of WordPress table. It comes with two builder modes- simple and advanced table builder. The simple mode gives you the easiest drag-and-drop table builder and a lot of table templates. And the advanced builder contains many ingenious features. Deeply integrated WooCommerce and Google Sheets let your tables sync in real-time. Create responsive and SEO-friendly tables and design them from 100+ styles and the 3 most popular CSS galleries.
Tables are passive yet an essential component of any website. From upgrading your website’s look to making your site user-friendly, tables make your content easy to digest. I have mentioned the three easiest methods to insert a table in WordPress. You should not have any issues when implementing the steps mentioned above.
Let us know if this guide was helpful in the comment section below:
If you want to read more useful articles regarding WordPress, you can take a look at the following: